Water mills along the river were finding it hard to compete with newer steam driven roller mills.
Bury Market on Wednesday and Saturday were important days for country folk to come to town to sell or buy produce.
Two Lancashire Boilers were installed driving two 60 kilowatt dynamoes.These produced Direct Current (DC) electricity of three wire 400/200 volts, as opposed to the modern alternating current of 230 volts.In 1900 some 10 carrier's wagons used it as the base to and from the villages on market days.The Castle was an inn next to Moyse's Hall, with a sizeable yard in Brentgovel Street.In the first few months the British suffered many reverses.
Patriotism ran high in these days of Empire, and Queen Victoria sent consignments of chocolate to the troops wishing them a Happy New Year for January 1st, 1900.By 1903 a further 10 kilowatts capacity would be added, and further extensions would be carried out in 19.The site of the electricity undertaking is nowadays a car park, and Prospect Row is the road off King's Road which in the year 2002 was the major access road to the whole Cattle Market car park site.Meanwhile on 23rd March, the 2nd Volunteer Company left Bury for Capetown, where they arrived on April 14th. By September 1900 it was clear that the Receiver who was managing the Eastern Counties Navigation and Transport Company Limited, had decided to throw in the towel.He had been unable to raise more capital, and began to sell off the assets.Walter Greene had been defeated when he tried to become MP for North West Suffolk in 1891, but this time he was unopposed.